Make Appointment

Pet Travel

Please note Health certificate appointments are only available to existing clients.

Preparing for your Health Certificate Appointment
Please note that the prices listed below do not include any diagnostic tests, medications, vaccines or treatments. These will be charged in addition to the exam fee.

  • Domestic Health Certificate Appointment (30 minutes) $200 + Exam Fee
  • Hawaii Health Certificate Appointment (60 minutes) $550 + Exam Fee
  • International Health Certificate Appointment (60 minutes) $600.00 + Exam Fee
  • USDA Endorsement Fee (Varies between destination) $75-189 +Exam Fee

Please complete our Health Certificate Form & email it to [email protected]. Once we receive the completed form someone will contact you to schedule your Health Certificate Appointment.

Know What is Required for Pet Travel!

  • Requirements between destinations, port of origin & airline or mode of transport vary. Before your visit, we ask that you personally research what is needed for the destination you plan to travel to & the airline you plan to travel on, including the timeline for any test and/or vaccine requirements.
  • The SoMa Animal Hospital is not responsible for ensuring that veterinary services, flights, and/or any other transportation arrangements are booked in accordance with requirements for travel.
  • Health Certificates can only be issued on the day of an appointment and cannot be issued retroactively.
  • The USDA may require a separate endorsement fee of up to $189 (varies between destinations)
  • Some destinations do not accept digitally endorsed health certificates & therefore a prepaid overnight envelope is required for the USDA to mail you your Health Certificate (Varies by destination, please check ahead with the USDA prior to your appointment)

Airline Requirements
We strongly recommend going on your airlines website and assure that you meet all of your airline’s requirements as they may differ from the destination requirements. Some airlines require health certificates while other do not so calling and checking in with them to understand their requirements before your appointment can help us get you and your pet ready for travel.

Emotional Support Animals vs Service Animals
Most Emotional Support Animals are no longer recognized for airline travel unless they are a registered service animal. If you are traveling with a registered service animal we recommend that you research what forms your airline may require you to complete prior to travel.

Domestic Traveling
When traveling domestically, the USDA APHIS (United States Department of Agriculture Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) has provided a website where you can visit and view what every state requires from you when arriving and traveling to each state.

Some states require a CVI (Certificate of Veterinary Inspection) in order to be able to enter the state.

International Traveling
International Traveling can be extremely stressful; we will guide you to the best of our knowledge to the right steps for a successful, stress-free travel experience! USDA APHIS website will tell you exactly what is required for the arrival to the country of your choosing. It will direct you to the country and you will follow the prompts, be sure to select the country and species of your pet(s) and follow their prompts to view the correct requirements necessary.

Rabies Titer (FAVN) Testing
A Rabies Titer Test is a test for the production of antibodies in your pet in response to a Rabies vaccine & is a requirement for some countries for entry with a pet. This test can only be run through the Kansas State Rabies Laboratory and can take 6 to 8 weeks turnaround from the time of your pets blood draw. This test can therefore impede on your traveling plans, so please keep this in mind when booking your appointment and travel plans.

Important information regarding travel with your pet during COVID-19
The CDC has put a temporary ban on pets coming in from certain countries. If you are traveling to those countries with your pets, you may not be able to bring them back into the US. For more information, see the latest CDC announcement here.